Kalyanpur Cements Limited (KCL), incorporated in August, 1937 is one of the oldest cement manufacturing companies in the country. KCL was incorporated as a public limited company with its registered office in the state of West Bengal and the plant at Banjari district Rohtas, Bihar. KCL, earlier known as Kalyanpur Lime and Cement Works Ltd., commenced its cement manufacturing business in 1946 by setting up its first cement plant with a small capacity of 46000 M.T. per annum. Subsequently two plants with capacities of one lac tons and two lac tons were set up in 1958 and 1968 respectively raising the installed capacity to 3.46 lac tons per annum. The capacity was enhanced from 3.46 lac tons per annum to 4.8 lac tons per annum in 1980. All the above facilities had been created under wet process technology.
With world-wide shift in cement manufacturing technology from wet process to dry process, the company set up a state-of-art, dry process, million ton cement plant during 1991-1993 in collaboration with Holderbank (now Holcim) through a World Bank Line of Credit. The plant was commissioned at the end of 1993 and full-scale commercial production started from March, 1994.
Banjari and adjoining areas in the districts of Rohtas and Kaimur have large deposits of cement grade limestone and the plant is situated close to its captive mines. KCL’s plant, at present, is the only integrated cement plant in the state of Bihar.
Bihar is KCL’s natural market and besides Bihar, the company also serves some areas of the bordering states like U.P. and Jharkhand. Its brands namely “KC Super” and “KC Special” are well accepted in the state, State Government departments as well as Central Government undertakings. Plant has road connectivity with all its market places and operates a private railway siding at Sonenagar, situated about 40 KM from the plant.